The Code Enforcement Department provides access to information and answers to questions that pertain to the RI State Building Code, including the RI Property Maintenance Code, and Zoning Ordinance Enforcement. We've provided a number of resources here to help answer questions, report and resolve problems, and to list the services that we provide.
To safeguard the health, welfare and quality of life within our community through the administration and enforcement of codes and regulations. To eliminate the uncaring, adversarial stereotype image that plagues so many regulatory agencies. To create a friendly atmosphere, and to provide customers with guidance for the resolution of problems and assistance through a process that at times may appear complicated and confusing.
- Services provided by the Department include:
- Processing and issuance of building permits, electrical permits, plumbing permits, mechanical permits, solar permits, demolition permits, and building moving permits.
- Enforcement of the RI State Building Code, including the RI Property Maintenance Code and various local ordinances.
- Inspections with regard to compliance for licensing of mobile home parks, public schools, purveyors of alcoholic beverages, bed and breakfast operations, hotels, and motels.
- The staff also provides assistance and information to the public concerning permit applications, inspection requirements, appeals, and the interpretation of flood maps and flood zone regulations, and local municipal ordinances.